The Stencil House at Shelburne Museum
Original Colors: Red, green and black on grey or tan paneling.
The Stencil House was originally built in Columbus, New York. "The Museum acquired the building in 1953 because of the paint-decorated walls that could be seen through gaps in the wallpaper. Before moving the house to Shelburne, several layers of peeling paper were removed, revealing the scope of the painted decoration. Rather than confining motifs to borders, the Stencil House artist had covered entire walls of the entrance hall, parlor and dining room, working directly on boards rather than on plaster walls."* (The sheathing is laid both horizontally and vertically.)
* from The Shelburne Museum's A Guide to the Collections.